Nearly half of Brits support a Government bond for net zero as we “build back better”
- 51% of Brits think the Government should prioritise lowering carbon emissions when “building back better” from coronavirus even if ‘building’ takes longer.
- 49% of Brits support a low risk Government bond made available to the public and used to build net zero emission housing, roads and transport.
- 74% of those asked say David Attenborough represents the values and ethics they’d like to see more of in Britain if or when it builds back better.
The findings come as Good Money Week (24th – 30th Oct) launches its 2020 campaign to raise awareness of the importance of green and ethical finance in the wake of the Coronavirus pandemic, with this year’s theme ‘Clean Slate, Green Slate’ calling for a greener, cleaner, healthier and wealthier future for the UK post-COVID and Brexit.
New research from YouGov and Good Money Week has shed light on public support for a green recovery and a Government bond they can invest in to support the UK’s transition to a net zero economy.
A NET ZERO BOND FOR THE PUBLIC
According to the poll of 1,623 UK adults, 49% of Brits support a low risk Government bond made available to the public and used to build net zero emission housing, and transport. Only 6% opposed it.
THOSE MOST IN SUPPORT CAN AFFORD TO INVEST
Support for a publicly available Government bond for net zero was high from people at every level of disposable income. But particularly from those with a disposable income of £1,500-£1,749 a month (86%) and of £1,750- £1,999 a month (70%). High levels of support also came from those who already hold investments in commodities (77%), investment trusts (62%) and bonds (57%).
LOWERING EMISSIONS IS A ‘BUILD BACK BETTER’ PRIORITY, NOT SPEED
51% of Brits think the Government should prioritise lowering carbon emissions when “building back better” from coronavirus even if ‘building’ takes longer. 18% think the Government should prioritise lowering carbon emissions when “building back better” but only if ‘building' is not slowed down. Combined this means 69% of people want fewer emissions to be prioritised.
BRITAIN WANTS TO SEE MORE ENVIRONMENTALISM
When respondents were asked which key public figures they think represent the ethics or values they'd like to see more of in Britain when it 'builds back better', natural historian and pioneer David Attenborough (74%) was the top choice, followed by Swedish environmental activist Greta Thunberg (44%). Third came Marcus Rashford (39%), who this year successfully campaigned the Government to extend the school meal voucher scheme for the summer holidays. Separately, only 24% of respondents said Boris Johnson represents the values and ethics they’d like to see more of in Britain if or when it builds back better
Charlene Cranny, Director of Good Money Week, said “The British public not only want to see a green recovery that prioritises emissions reduction but almost half want to invest in it financially as well, and that’s a figure that increases significantly for those with higher disposable incomes and who already invest. The British people are ready to play a financial role in building back better and support our country’s journey to net zero emissions. They just need the opportunity, and a Government ‘build back better bond’ could be it.
An affordable, accessible Government bond that the public could buy online or at the post office would not only help to create new investors and distribute wealth, it might also establish a higher degree of emotional support for, and active public partcipation in, the Government’s plans to reach net zero by 2050. For a Prime Minister having a bit of a tough time it could be a way of rejuvenating support - ‘Boris Bond’ anyone?”
For more information on Good Money Week and to download the Clean Slate, Green Slate public attitudes report in full head to www.goodmoneyweek.com.
All figures, unless otherwise stated, are from YouGov Plc. Total sample size was 1,623 adults. Fieldwork was undertaken between 23rd-24th September 2020. The survey was carried out online. The figures have been weighted and are representative of all GB adults (aged 18+).